Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Fighting Back

*The following post was just emailed to me (Nicole) from Billy. He asked that I post it for you all so that you are updated.*

As I lay awake last night, agonizing over not being there for my children while I was there for my wife, I struggled to find a way to put a positive light on our utterly bogus situation. I told you, I need to feel like I am fighting back. Sure, I now have to wear a freakin spaceman suit to see my son, but things could be so much worse. Every time we walk through the NICU we see parents hanging on to hope. Catheters, respirators, IVs and incubators replace baseball, Britney Spears and American Idol as the topics of conversation. Rachel only looks straight ahead now because we have seen enough resuscitations. People hang on every beep that comes out of the plethora of machines that are hooked onto the babies, craning their neck to the right to see if their child is the next one the nurses will rush to.
The way of life is tough, with extreme highs and lows daily. The medical staffers work long hours dealing with difficult work. I used to think my job was important. Now I know how silly I can be. The parents are resilient, hopeful and more stressed out by the minute. So many others are worse off than Rachel and me. We should get our kids out in a few days, maybe weeks. Malorie's roommate Abe has been here for over three months.
I have come up with a way to make something good come from our time here, and plan on unveiling it later today. For all of you who have asked what you can do to help, I'm here to say that Rach and I don't need food, phone calls or visits right now. Please just check the blog later today for how you can help Mal, Micah and some other really terrific kids here in the NICU.

13 comments:

  1. Ready to join you in fighting back.
    Much love and prayers for God to strengthen you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts and prayers are with you until you bring your little ones home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are praying for you & your babies.
    Jeff & Kimberly Henze

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachel and you have embarked on the scariest voyage of your lives, just keep the bow into the wind. God will calm the seas.
    Great grandpa Klug

    ReplyDelete
  6. My thoughts and prayers are with your family. We've done the ICU route numerous times with our son, and I know how hard it is. At the stage you're at now, most parents are stunned and speechless, not sure of what to do next.
    The fact that you're trying to pull something positive out of it is a true show of what amazing parents you guys are. Your twins are blessed to have you. Just hold tight to each other right now, it's the best thing you can do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Billy, Rach you and the babies are in our prayers.
    We love you and the twins.
    Tell the babies to stay strong.
    We can't wait to get down there.
    ~Grammy and Auntie (Burp Rag) Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you're fighting back. You're showing incredible strength in a very trying time. At that point I did little more than visit the NICU and cry. Please, let me know what I can do to help. I know the NICU can be hard, doubly so with twins. I am grateful you are in a better situation than others, though I wish no parent was ever in that situation. I hope that you find comfort in each other, and that Micah and Malorie share in your strength and come home soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WE LOVE YOU IMMENSELY.... I CANNOT TELL YOU THAT ENOUGH.

    WE LOVE YOU ALL. WE ARE FIGHTING FOR YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a friend of Nicole's, and now, I'm a friend of yours, too. My heart goes out to your family and I hope we hear good news soon. You are both being so strong in extraordinarily difficult circumstances, and your little ones are being strong too, fighting for life. They know you love them.

    My thoughts are with you. Sending love from Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi I am a friend of Nic's...
    I just wanted you to know I have been following your story and have been thinking of you all constantly. Sending all the virtual hugs in the world your way. Keep up your positive outlook. The babies get the positive vibes off of you. (hugs)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thinking of you all. Sending you love & strength. (Nicole is my friend too)

    You have so many people thinking of you right now and supporting you. I hope you feel the positive energy we are sending your way.

    Much love. Much, much love.

    ReplyDelete